MAINTAIN STRAIGHT TEETH AFTER TREATMENT
Follow the instructions below to get the best results from your retainer and help it last as long possible
- Wear your retainer for 24 hours for the first two weeks and only at night thereafter for life.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and always put it back in its case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with soft bristle toothbrush and antibacterial hand soap. Use cold and not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Retainer Brite® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should ALWAYS be in its case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.